You can freeze Thai basil for around 6 months. People freeze Thai basil, as well as other herbs, in a variety of ways. Blanching isn’t essential but can help it to retain some of its colour and flavour. The other option is to use an ice cube tray.
How do you store Thai basil in the freezer?
Remove basil leaves from the stem and toss them in a pot with boiling water for 3-5 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer the leaves to a bowl of ice cold water. Dry the leaves completely and store basil leaves in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag.
What is the best way to preserve Thai basil?
Of course it’s super easy:
- Wash & dry basil leaves.
- Lay out on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Freeze until firm, 12-24 hours.
- Transfer leaves to a freezer bag, pressing out as much air as possible.
Can I freeze basil leaves without blanching?
To freeze basil, blanch the leaves, flash freeze them separately, then combine and freeze them long-term in an airtight, freezer-safe container. If you don’t need to preserve individual leaves, you can also freeze basil without blanching and flash freezing it, or you can freeze basil in puréed form.
Can you freeze fresh basil for later use?
ANSWER: Yes, you can freeze fresh basil leaves, but they just need a little help. Basil is a particularly delicate herb because it hates the cold and darkens when cut. Keep in mind any fresh herbs that you freeze will not be entirely the same as fresh. Freezing will change the texture and it won’t be as stable.
Can I dry or freeze Thai basil?
Thoroughly Dry – You need to ensure your Thai basil leaves are dry before freezing. … Freeze Instantly – It’s possible to freeze Thai basil leaves without freezing them individually; you can simply place them straight into a freezer-safe bag to save yourself time.
What is the best way to freeze basil?
Freeze basil whole leaves in these 3 easy steps:
- Blanch: Remove the basil leaves from the stem and blanch them in boiling water for 2 seconds.
- Ice bath: Transfer the leaves to an ice bath.
- Dry & freeze: Dry completely and store in a freezer-safe container, separating the layers with wax or parchment paper.
What can I do with lots of fresh basil?
How to Use Basil
- Top whole leaves onto pizza.
- Finish pasta with whole or thinly sliced leaves.
- Blend it into sauces.
- Puree it into soups.
- Chop it up to add to a salad.
- Use it to garnish avocado toast.
- Turn it into an ice cream topping! Jazz up vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries, basil, and a balsamic reduction.
How long will Basil keep in olive oil?
Other Useful Tips for How to Store Basil
It will last up to 2 days when wrapped in a paper towel and put in a plastic bag. If you cover the leaves with olive oil, they can last up to 2 months.
How do I use frozen basil?
Just take the frozen basil/oil mixture out of the bag and drop it in your pasta sauce or whatever you are cooking. It will add amazing flavor to your recipe. Use within the year but you’ll finish these off in no time…
How do you freeze basil without turning it black?
Chop and Freeze
Use a food processor to coarsely chop washed basil leaves. Add a drizzle of olive oil and pulse to lightly coat the leaves with oil; this will keep the basil from turning black in the freezer.
Can Basil be frozen whole?
You can also freeze leaves whole and keep them for up to a year. First, blanch leaves for two seconds in boiling water, then drain and rinse immediately with cold water. Pat leaves dry and store in a large, freezer-safe container, separating each layer with plastic wrap.
How do you thaw frozen basil?
If thawing frozen basil leaves, remove them from the freezer and immediately add them to the dish you’re cooking or set them on the counter until thawed. We don’t recommend letting leaves thaw on the counter, though, because they are mushy and make a mess.
Does basil regrow after cutting?
When you clip basil stems back to a fresh set of leaves, you force those leaves to grow, doubling the basil produced on that stem. And as those stems grow, you can pinch them back and double their production – it’s exponential!
How do you store fresh cut basil?
Wash and dry the leaves, using either a paper towel or a salad spinner. Wrap the basil leaves in a dry paper towel and place inside a plastic bag. Seal and store for one to two weeks.
How do you dry and store basil?
- Wash and dry the basil leaves. Remove them from the stem. …
- Microwave on High for 45 seconds.
- Remove the plate, spread out the leaves in a single layer. …
- Microwave again on high for one more 30 second interval. …
- Cool completely to allow to become perfectly crisp: the leaves will crisp more as they cool.